This is the first in a series of short posts where I will describe some of the tools that I use daily. There is no particular order to things, just a stream of thought if you will. So, Hugo. Static site generator, written in Go (one of my favourite programming languages), blazingly fast, easy to use, plays well with Netlify, and Stackbit. What I love about it in particular, is that there’s a single executable provided, that allows you to easily manage your site.
This is just a quick shout out to the Great Expectations Team (Superconductive Health). I happened to use their library to do some testing a few years ago, as I was part of the “Quality Specialists” team at Otto. Fun days, fun activity. Basically, I had a bunch of relatively big data files that needed explorative control for issues. I decided to use Jupyter Notebooks, Pandas and Great Expectations for the explorative parts, and just replaced Jupyter Notebooks with pytest for semi-automated verification when doing retests.
This is just a short entry on how to fix file encodings using Go. The reason for it is the following: I currently develop a small test automation augmentation for my customer, and it utilizes a third-party tool. For variuous reasons this third-party tool needs to touch the test data files, and in doing so, it completely garbles those files. After analysis, it turned out, that the files are read in as UTF-8, but interpreted as Windows1252, yet written out again as UTF-8.
Note: this article had originally been published on the WonderProxy Blog in March 2019. Intro This is the first in a series of 3 articles. When you complete them all, you will have a functional and extensible, albeit basic, test automation solution for web applications. This solution will be prepared for inclusion in a CI/CD Pipeline, as well as for local execution. The complete solution will use Robot Framework as a generic test automation tool, and use Selenium Webdriver to perform very basic browser automation.
I have been busy the whole January with a development task for one of my customers. We had settled on delivering the solution with Go, even though my experience with this programming language had been very limited. Decision had been based on of the quality aspects, that is - maintainability. My customer works daily with Go, and very sporadically with other languages. Had I delivered solution in Python, for example, it would be easy for me to deliver, but difficult for them to keep effectively working with the solution afterwards, should our relationship head south at any point in time.
So, hello everyone. My name is Adam Hepner, and I’ve long been thinking about getting some testing-related publishing done. Usually it’s just life that gets in the way, but I hope that with a little bit of deliberate practice I might get this thing going. Some things that this blog will be about: case studies and lessons learned in software testing Ministry of Testing bloggers’ club challenges coding and testing deliberate practice maybe a bit about my parenting maybe something about my hobbies probably other things as well.